‘Are mirrorless cameras better or mirror DSLR cameras better?’ I will try to answer the question within my own experience. First, I will introduce dslr and mirrorless cameras as a system. Then I will examine the mirrorless camera difference, mirrorless and dslr positive and negative aspects and find the answer to our question … Do you think mirrorless or DSLR?
Briefly, ‘What does a mirror camera mean’ without comparison? ‘What is a mirrorless camera, how does it work’, ‘What is the difference of a mirrorless camera? Let’s clarify them.
Camera Types: Mirrored (DSLR) -Mirrorless
(DSLR) Mirrored Camera system is the machine that we can see through the viewfinder with the help of a mirror in professional single-lens reflex (SLR) machines, with the help of a lens until the image is formed. Since the image changes direction, one mirror will not be enough and prism will be needed. Therefore, all this mechanism (prism and mirror) will take place inside the machine and the size of the machine will increase.
What does Mirrorless Camera Mean:
Mirrorless cameras drop the light from the lens directly onto the sensor. So there is no mirror. Therefore, it will not be in an optical view in the viewfinder. As the viewfinder, the LCD has a small screen and the image can be viewed electronically on this screen. In a way, it is the small size of the big LCD screen.
You will understand that it is a matter of viewfinder. Mirror and mirrorless camera difference is basically viewfinder. More precisely, it is better to say how we want to see the image through the viewfinder. It is not the difference of the sensor or other equipment that creates the image. Do not think what is a black mirrorless camera anymore 🙂 Come a little mirror or mirrorless? Let’s look at this.
Let’s list the advantages and disadvantages.
Advantages of DSLR Cameras:
1. Since it is an optical viewfinder, the image to be shot can be followed simultaneously.
2. As it is a system used for many years, they are ahead of mirrorless as lens and engineering experience. Therefore, machine competencies are higher than mirrors. This can change at any time, though.
3. Lens variety is more than mirrorless.
4. Maki sitting and image quality is better than mirrors.
5. Charging times go at least 2 times longer. You can even forget whether or not some models have batteries.
Disadvantages of MIRROR-DSLR Cameras:
1. They are much higher in volume and weight than mirrorless cameras. It creates a major disadvantage in terms of transportation.
2. We should also add the size of the equipment in a bear manner. Like lens and bag.
3. They cannot take advantage of the electronic viewfinder. (I’ll talk about mirrorless soon)
4. Burst shooting speeds are less due to the mirror.
5. Some sources say that the flange distance is one click lower in terms of picture quality because it is more than mirrorless. Even though it is theoretically like this, I think that there is no situation affecting image quality in practice.
6. Video shots are said not to be as good as mirrorless ones. It is necessary to evaluate this professionally. Because it is not possible for those who shoot co-videos to distinguish. Especially Panasonic gh series and Sony a7s series are among the preferences of professionals.
Let’s come to the mirrorless:
Advantages of Mirrorless Cameras:
1. They are ergonomic, small in volume, light in weight, which has caused many people to leave Dslr.
2. Thanks to the electronic viewfinder, some applications made it easy to take pictures. Let’s try to explain them briefly.
** You can zoom in on the subject shot from the electronic viewfinder and fine-tune the sharpness. In dmf (direct manual focus) mode, fine-tuning can be done very fast with af lens.
** Places that are clear with the event called Peaking can be expressed in different colors. This makes it much easier to use manual lenses.
** Since there is no mirror in front of the sensor, the anti-vibration function of the sensor can be used healthier. It is widely used in Olympus and Sony machines. It even works so well that I personally know that when I take a portrait with a 50mm lens, I fell to 1/10 shutter and saved the photo. (Of course, it is still useful to shoot carefully.)
** How the adjustments made on the camera affect the photograph can also be seen through the electronic viewfinder. Thus, full live viewing can be done. In DSLR, the image created by the shooting environment can be seen from the viewfinder. The image made with the settings of the camera can be seen only when the photo is taken. This is the biggest advantage of the electronic viewfinder.
3. Although it is especially valid in Sony e mount system, different system autofocus lenses can be used with digital adapter. For example, Sony-mount adapter and a-mount Sony and Minolta lenses can be used. For this, Sony has produced 4 different af adapters. In addition, Sony can also use Canon ef mount af lenses with different brand adapters. I don’t even count manual lenses. All brands of manual lenses can be easily used with simple adapters in all mirrors. As in DSLR, there is never any problem of hitting the mirror.
Let’s move on to the Disadvantages of MIRRORLESS Cameras:
1. The main disadvantages are charging times. Sometimes you may need to carry 4-5 batteries to take a trip. This means extra cost and burden. I think the battery runs out fast when it comes to dual LCD.
2. Lens diversity is not as much as mirror systems. Therefore, the prices of newly launched products will be quite high. Actually, this is the same as Dslr grandfather, but in Dslr, you can find many alternatives, while your alternative is very low in mirrorless ones.
In this regard, I would like to open a parenthesis to the mirrorless m43 system. The M43 system uses 2x multiplier sensors, as is known. So its sensors are small compared to apsc and ff machines. Therefore, the machines and lenses produced will also be smaller in volume. Likewise, it is expected to be more affordable. Their latest models have become seriously ambitious in the field of photography and video. Its software features and optical qualities are really good. The applications of Olympus that make a difference like composite exposure are very useful from time to time. Similarly, Panasonic’s success in video cannot be deceived. The mirrorless are also assertive in competition.
3. When the viewfinder becomes electronic, there may be a slight delay in the photograph taken due to the transfer of the image. Assuming that this delay is 0.01 s in the last mirrorless, it is not possible for the mind of human beings to perceive this.
AS A RESULT:
Although many companies that dominate the camera market produced the mirror system at first, then the production of mirrorless system camera was one way or another. Are those who are late or cannot pass ‘DSLR or mirrorless’? Unfortunately, they had to learn the answer to the question by living-testing. For example, Nikon company was too late to switch to mirrorless system. Although he eventually tried to find himself a place by introducing Nikon multiplier machines with the name Nikon1, he had to announce that he withdrew from the mirrorless market in half of 2018. Again, Canon seems to have got into the last wagon of the mirrorless camera train and can find itself in the back rows in the market. Sony has become the firm that has swept the market by producing the first mirrorless full frme cameras (sony a7- a7r-a7s-a9 etc.) and succeeded in bringing the continuation successfully. Firms such as Fujifilm, Olympus and Panasonic have also invested heavily in the mirrorless system and are well worth it. Nikon and Canon are also trying to get their place with the ff frame mirrorless machines z6- z7 and eos R, which they launched a few months ago.
Our question is ” Mirrorless camera or Mirror DSLR camera? ” was.
I have used both Nikon and Canon mirror DSLR machines for a long time. Then I switched to mirrorless machines for trial purposes. Most of the crop and full frame mirrorless I have used the popular brand I keep using. We came to 2020; we definitely need to follow the technology. I think the answer to our question is clear: My advice Professional mirrorless camera!
Let your light be of good quality …